It is normal for siblings to have mixed feelings about life with their brother or sister.
Everyone has worries at one time or another. Worrying is normal. However, sometimes it’s hard to talk about it. A lot of worry can make it hard to enjoy life and it can affect schoolwork. It is important to get help with worries.
Some things you can do if you feel worried:
- Talk to your parent about being worried. Parents prefer it when their children tell them what they are worried about.
- If you can’t talk to your parent, talk to someone at school – your teacher, a pastoral care person, or a school counsellor.
- Write your worries in a diary – sometimes it helps to get them out of your head and down on paper.
Siblings feel sad that their brothers and sisters are not able to do the same things as other children and young people. Siblings feel sad if their brother or sister is very ill. It is normal for siblings to feel sad at times.
Some things you can do if you feel sad.
- Tell someone else that you feel sad, like your parent or a friend.
- Do things that are comforting for you – stroking a pet, watching a film that cheers you up, having a nice warm bath with bubbles
- Remember – it is OK to have a cry, this helps to let the sadness out of our bodies.
It is normal to feel angry with a brother or sister sometimes. Remember – it is OK to feel angry and OK to say you feel angry. However, it is not OK to hit someone or say nasty things to people. When people are angry it is hard to think clearly. It is easier to sort things out after you take time to get calm again.
Some things you can do if you feel angry
- Talk to someone about feeling angry – your parent, your pet, your friend or your cuddly toy!
- Write about it in your diary.
- Draw a picture of how you feel or text a friend about it.
- Do some calming activities – lie down and listen to calm music, go for a walk, count backwards from 100, breathe deeply and slowly, have a nice warm bath.
I’m proud of myself and my family
Many siblings feel proud about things in their lives. Sometimes this is about the positive things they have done or achieved. Sometimes this about the things their family has done. It is good to think about the things you are proud of.
Some things you can do when you feel proud:
- Make a list of the things that you have done that you are proud of and show these to your parent.
- If you have a certificate for something you have done put it on your bedroom wall so you can always see it.
- Ask your parent to tell you about why they are proud of you.
For more information about feelings visit: https://www.sibs.org.uk/youngsibs/info-and-advice/feelings/